In 2023, in order to use any Internet or mobile service that involves online payments, you have to provide your personal information. At least, it was so when cards or conventional payment systems like PayPal were the only options to pay online. When Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies came to the scene, the state of affairs changed, offering users more options for privacy.
Since gambling anonymously is one of the highest priorities among players, such an opportunity could not be missed by crypto casinos. However, the terms of anonymity may vary from site to site. According to our research, crypto casinos can be broken down into three categories based on their level of anonymity:
- High - players can deposit, play and withdraw crypto without ID verification regardless of the amounts; in rare cases, the casino still may initiate the KYC procedure if fraudulent activity is suspected (money laundering, bonus abuse, etc.)
- Decent - for the vast majority of players no ID verification is required, but withdrawing significant amounts may lead to a KYC procedure (in addition to suspicious activity).
- Low - such casinos usually allow to deposit and play without verification, but in most cases will require it upon withdrawal for average or above sums (in addition to suspicious activity); micro-bet players will not be bothered.
Based on the classification described above, we have compiled a list of crypto casinos with the best conditions for playing anonymously:
- now accepts several popular cryptos
- unique "Backpocket" reward system
- great promotions and loyalty club
- 1000+ games
- 11 cryptos and many usual currencies accepted
- thousands of casino games and sportsbetting
- awesome variety of promotions and bonuses
- thousands of games
- accepts BTC, ETH, BCH, LTC, DOGE and USDT
- almost instant withdrawals
- based on highly respected "bitcoin.com" domain
- many games including 7 exclusive ones
- anonymous and with simple registration
- first deposit bonus of 100% and 30 free spins
- has its own token which can be earned simply by playing games
- more than 4000 casino games
- nearly instant withdrawal
- awesome dice-only provably fair crypto casino
- huge amount of bonuses and awards
- 19 cryptocurrencies accepted
- slots from all of the popular providers
- "Stake Originals" section with 17 custom provably fair games
- instant cashouts
- 20 most popular coins accepted for deposit
- perfect crypto sportsbook
- 6 most popular cryptos for deposit and usual currency
- variety of promos and gambling events
- VIP club for highrollers
- one of the oldest crypto casinos (founded in 2013)
- 6 cryptos and multiple regular online payment methods
- thousands of games (mostly slots)
- has an outstanding list of slot providers
- Bitcoin, Dogecoin, Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash and usual currencies
- awesome variety of promotions and bonuses
About ID verification in crypto casinos
The process of ID verification, also known as the KYC procedure, may vary slightly on different crypto casinos in terms of required documents. While on some websites a photo of the user’s ID card or passport will be enough, there are casinos that require additional documents like a bank statement and proof of residence.
The reasons behind verification in crypto casinos
Considering the ungovernable nature of cryptocurrency, one may wonder why would crypto casinos ask players to unveil their personal information.
Just as on conventional online gambling websites, the majority of games in crypto casinos are provided by third-party software developers, most of which work only with licensed online casinos. Gambling license issuing authorities, in turn, demand from online casinos to comply with a list of requirements, which include verifying the identity of the players. This is mainly justified by the following reasons:
- Players age check. Only people who reached the age of 18 or 21 (depends on the country) are allowed to gamble, and the only option for online casinos to verify players’ age is to check their ID.
- Money laundering prevention. It is a well-known global problem that online gambling attracts criminals as a method of money laundering. Since cryptocurrency is even harder to trace than fiat money, crypto casinos should pay extra caution in this matter and ID verification is a very effective way to prevent such fraudulent activity.
- Self-exclusion program bypass. There are gamblers who have a problem stopping playing even if the loss exceeds their affordable limits. For such cases, many crypto casinos have a self-exclusion program that players can use to set the limit upon reaching of which they will be restricted from making bets. Blinded by excitement, some casino customers tend to create another account with no betting restrictions. Thus, the casino may request the KYC when such bypass attempt is suspected.
However, if in usual licensed online casinos identity verification is an absolute must because of the listed above factors, crypto casinos may still have some room to breathe. This is due to the fact that gambling license requirements are not fully adapted for the crypto gambling industry and it is what makes anonymous crypto casinos possible to exist.
Aside from the license obligations, crypto casino management may have its own motives to initiate the KYC procedure, which are often aimed at preserving the safety of both the casino itself and its users. The most obvious ones include:
- User account safety. Even the most secured websites get hacked sometimes and if the user has not taken all possible steps to ensure the security of his account, he can become an easy target for hackers. So when a security department of the crypto casino detects suspicious activity on the player’s account, they may ask for proof of the personality.
- Bonus abuse. There are bonuses that crypto casinos provide only once per account. In an attempt to take advantage of such offer again, the most cunning players may register a second account. In most cases, the casino can use other methods than identity verification to combat such fraud, but sometimes it is the only option.
- Affiliate program abuse. Some crypto gambling websites have an affiliate program (also known as refer a friend program) that allows its users to refer new players and receive cash rewards for this. To prevent unscrupulous players from inviting themselves, a crypto casino may initiate an identity check.
It is important to note that some authorities say that in case of a need the casino should request the ID verification in advance and not when the players want to make a withdrawal. In order to avoid any misunderstandings and conflicts, before making a deposit we recommend clarifying the policy regarding identity verification of the casino by reading its terms of service or ask the support directly.
The bottom line
Despite the increasing accumulation of regulations surrounding Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies in general, from 2024 onwards, there are still numerous crypto casinos that can offer a high level of privacy for online gambling.
However, we advise you to carefully read the Terms and Conditions of any crypto casino that is claimed to be anonymous to see their policy regarding KYC of players.